Friday, December 05, 2008

Rethinking the Ancestor comment :-)

In no particular order:

Okay, so perhaps I was a tad hasty with my British Ancestors remark of a blog-entry comment or so ago :-)

Perhaps I, rather than making certain Englishmen I know feel ANCIENT, should have made that comment to refer to the fact that I am of British descent myself (my grandfather being a Yorkshireman, to begin with), and that a lot of Australians as a whole do actually come from British Descent. Especially since the white settlement of this Great Southern Land only happened because our British ANCESTORS dumped all their bad'uns on us back in 1788 in three fleet-loads.

And if that wasn't bad enough, lol, when Australia was opened up to free settlement in the mid 1800s, they kept on coming! Mind you, if they hadn't, then my own British Ancestors (including a bunch from Berkshire, Ceramix!) would never have arrived on the sunny shores of Australia, and I wouldn't be here writing this blog about it! :-)

So, just perhaps, to reiterate, I should have said British COUSINS (that make you feel any younger now?), and left the Ancestors comment alone!

According to my sister, my point format in the previous blog entry was total crap. Yeah well - I'm verbose. Can I help it if point format isn't a high priority with me? :-)

There's more storms this week. The last two nights we've had late night thunder and lightening with a touch of heavy downpour, but so far nothing like the bad storms we had a couple of weeks back.

My dalmatian and his girl-friend, the staffy from next, still play-fight over his toys on a regular basis, as can be seen from this picture:

I'm still struggling to finish this story about Brisbane. At the moment, it still has very much the feel of a list of things that are going to happen, and I don't know what is frightening me more - my inability to reach the word count, or the fact that I am having trouble making the whole thing gel properly. Only time (of which I have very little at the moment) will tell, I guess.

I went for a little travel on Wednesday, down to Deception Bay, not too far from Redcliffe (all of which is still in the same shire I live in, only it's now called the Moreton Bay Regional Council), and was surprised to see, or rather, to be reminded of the fact, that I really do live in what is termed "Urban Regional". Up here, in my little neck of the wood, it's referred to as "Urban Country" though, and the wording is rather apt, considering that while from my front yard I can see the main road of my town, with all its rows of industrial buildings and the like, at the end of my street is a farm with cows and horses. Going on the bus down to D-Bay on Wednesday also reminded me of this, as we passed huge amounts of native bushland, interspersed with sheep and dairy farms. Having grown up in Brisbane for the better part of my life, to me this is such an unusual sight that I still get a kick out of it. I hope I never reach a point where it stops giving me the thrill it currently does. I have no wish to take anything for granted in my life.

Anyway, this story still awaits me, hanging as it is, like the proverbial stone about my neck!

1 comment:

Ceramix said...

Non taken, as they say LOL.