Monday, May 15, 2006

The last of the Autumn flowers....


Autumn is definitely here. It was quite cool this morning. Sunny though, as you can see from the picture. This is a tree in my front yard, proudly showing off the last of its Autumn flowers. Down further on the tree are two sad little leaves.

Over the years I've lived in this house, I've watched the seasons change by watching this tree. It's generally the first tree in my yard to get a leaf on it when Spring is on the way, and the last to lose its leaves in Autumn.

I woke up this morning, very tired, after having sat up doing research on the American Civil War of the 1860s. My own fault for not going to bed earlier, I know. I have some research to do for work, yet, but as I get to work my own hours (pretty much), I'll do it a bit later when I've woken up, and gone for a walk. It's an absolutely glorious day, and perfect for taking an overactive dalmatian for a walk, I think. :-)

I really need to get into my garden though and cut back the rose bush, and pull a heap of weeds. I also need to get my winter vegies in, or I'll have no produce this year. I think that there is nothing better than home grown fruit and veg. Except for maybe homemade food! It's hard to plant seedlings in my yard these days though, when my dog comes along behind me and tries to help, by digging them all up again. And if they do manage to avoid her 'help', she eats all the produce before I can get to it. Strange dog, indeed, who loves green tomatoes straight from the vine. On occassions that Mum has had to dog sit for me, she says that the dog leaves her tomato plants alone, so it must just be mine that she loves.

Recently I got into the habit of starting my day with a cup of coffee, sitting on my back steps with the dog. I have no verandah (or porch, as its called in other parts of the world), so my steps are pretty much it if I want to sit for a bit in the sun. Now that it is cooler, I can do this, though, as summers here are just far too hot to sit in. I find its a nice gentle way to start the day, though. Also terribly funny, as my dog sees fit to tell me in no uncertain terms just how much she adores me and loves me. I never knew how hard it can be to drink a cup of coffee until I had a 30kg dog trying to climb into my lap at the same time as I was trying to drink the coffee. Now I've learnt to take small sips when I get the chance, like when her attention is temporarily drawn to something else, like the kittens climbing up the inside of the back security door. I call them 'velcro cats' for a reason :-)

I love my dog though, and she is great fun to sit with. She got all excited yesterday because Dad dropped in quickly on his way home, to deliver some dry food for her. I swear she must have thought it was just the best thing to have happened all day, and she would not let Dad go until she'd practically licked him to death. I'm glad she likes my parents though, and that my parents like her. It makes it easier when they have to dog-sit for me when I go away.

Anyway, I'm off to make use of the sunshine - first sunshine in days. Washing to do, dog to walk, weeds to pull.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the dog is happy. She's cute. Sounds like you are having a nice peaceful life up there.

wunderlust said...

Hi Louise,

Yeah, the dog's doing well. She's so much happier now that she's over this side of the country. She's a blast to have around too, and gets me off my bum and out walking, which is always good!