Monday, May 22, 2006

Colds, mp3s, and "walking the dog" :-)

Ain't life grand? :-)

I went out on a date on Friday night with a very nice man and ended up getting his cold. I've been coughing and sneezing my way through the past couple of days. Oh well. I can live with that, because the evening was great, or at least, I thought it was. Anyway, to get myself through the past couple of days, I've taken my dog for a walk around my local area because she was driving me nuts running up and down the back stairs, barking at everything from a bee minding its own business in my geraniums, to one of my cats sitting on top of the fence post annoying her, to the twin kittens (well, full grown cats now, but I will forever continue to call them kittens) velcro-ing themselves to the inside of the back security door. She seemed to enjoy her walk, which also included trying to take on a nasty-tempered doberman, apparently, as well as sniffing EVERY SINGLE BLOODY TREE from my house onwards. At least it isn't as bad as the last time she and I ventured out on a little walk. She got away from me - first and ONLY time, I can guarantee you that - and she chased some poor little cat into its own yard. Thank god the owners weren't home, is all I can say.

So apart from walking the dog (which innocent little me found out yesterday also means something rather different to guys...the things you read about on the net - phew!), I've been trawling through my mp3 folder again, and discovering that my taste in music is just plain strange. I have everything in there from full choral orchestral pieces like Carmina Burana (which I sang in as a Tenor, btw), to twitty little things likes 1910 Fruitgum Company's "Yummy Yummy Yummy" and "Chewy Chewy", to Johnny Preston's "Running Bear", which Mum informed me the other day was the song that guys used to get drunk and sing to girls when she was growing up, because apparently the words take on a whole different meaning if you are male and drunk and trying to get laid. One of these days, I'm just gonna have to listen to it again, I guess... I also found The Village People, Helen Ready (yes I do actually have "I Am Woman" in my collection), to country and western stuff (but not a great deal of that), to Australian stuff (obviously), to a heap of other things. I suppose that's what you get when you share mp3s with other people. Looking through my mp3s over the past few days has resulted in lots of "WTF???" (I hope most people know what that stands for), because there's stuff in there I KNOW I wouldn't listen to, and yet there it sits, innocent enough, until you actually play it, and again you find yourself either cringing, almost peeing yourself from laughing so hard, or just going "WTF?????". But I think the oddest song in my collection is Rolf Harris doing The Divinyl's song "I Touch Myself". If you have heard the original, you know it's a chick song. Any guy worth his salt is NOT going to openly admit to liking the song, let alone break out into singing it in a public place (that's happened to me fairly recently, but that's another story), and yet, here is dear old Rolf of "Jake the Peg" fame, singing his heart out. To give the guy credit, he DID sound incredibly embarrased, especially during the choruses, where at one point he forgot the words, and had to ask someone (a girl) who happily informed him of the next line. And what is it with that damn wobbly board thing of his? It's ALL the way through the song! Mind you, the song starts with him panting, which just cracks me up everytime I listen to it. And during the choruses he actually sounds like someone is stringing him up by his privates, but I guess it's a "you had to be there" kind of song....

I've been reading an interesting set of "editorials" by a bloke called Azrael (link: http://www.outpostnine.com/editorials/). Some of the things he has to say made me laugh so hard I swear nearly every muscle in my body hurts (or maybe that's just this cold I have, I dunno). Anyway, go check him out. He's hilarious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So how is the flu? Are you over it? I have started a blog too. I'll give you a link when I've done a few days' worth.