Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Australia - the perfect country

Ain't she a beaut? :-)

Now that I've done the Aussie language thing, that's our flag sitting up there. The union jack in one corner says we are still part of the British Empire, or rather, the British Commonwealth, now. The big star under it represents the 6 states of Australia, plus one point for our overseas colonies, (that big star is called the Commonwealth Star, and we gained it at Federation in 1901), and the other five stars are the Southern Cross. When we go outside at night, we can see this constellation. I'd like to think that the blue background represents all that glorious blue sea around us, and the even more glorious blue sky above, but I'm not totally sure on that.

I love my country and where I live. It's beautiful and perfect and glorious and wonderful, and it's home. I still want to travel and see the rest of Australia, but I'd love to some day see the rest of the world too. I apparently still have family over in the UK that I've never met, as well as some family in Denmark. But no matter where I end up in my life, Australia will always be my home. Corny as it sounds, Peter Allen's song "I still call Australia home" is so true of many of us that leave our home shores. You can't take Australia out of Australians. Sorry, but that's just how it goes. Unless you were born here, it's hard to explain. I guess the same can be said for other people around the world, though. Like my current favourites - our US buddies. Wherever they go, they will always be americans. They can't change that, and they don't want to. They are proud of their heritage and their homeland, and so they should be. But I think, perhaps, that we are a tad different, because a lot of us can still trace our heritage back to the convict days of Australia, and so many of us are in reality just misplaced Poms. My grandfather on one side of my family was a pom, and so for me, on both sides I am only 2nd and 3rd generation Australian, because my great grandfather on the other side was from Denmark. But I was born here, to Australian born parents, and in my heart Australia is home. For many Australians, it's like this, and will continue to be for many generations to come. We haven't been around for long enough, I guess. Except for the Australian Aborigines. They've been here for 40 000 + years.

Sorry. Just feeling rather patriotic this morning. :-)

No comments: