Thursday, January 01, 2009

Memories

For most, today is a happy day - the start to a brand new year.

And for me, it started off that way too.

Until I got a phone call from my sister this morning to tell me one of my dad's brothers had died around 8.30am.

And so now, New Years isn't so happy, and isn't so great, and all the joy I was feeling has kind of faded away.

To me, my uncle was great. I loved him dearly, and I shall miss him.

Strange how, not even 10 hours after he died and I'm already talking about him in past tense. Somehow that seems a little callous to me, but it seems that that is how humanity is.

Either way, he had a very large impact on my life, and as I sit here now I wonder how I will get through the rest of the day, let alone the rest of my life without his wisdom and his love, his laughter and joy at life itself. Also his wonderful grumpy moods.

My sister will be the first one to agree that he always reminded us of Santa Claus when we were girls because of his white fluffy beard he had at times, and his cheeky (and somewhat cheesy) grin. But he was great, and I miss him already with all my heart.

RIP Uncle dearest. You are gone but not forgotten. Loved and never lost.

1 comment:

Ceramix said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

We try to think about new beginnings at this time of year and not things coming to an end; this must feel like something of a kick in the teeth. I hope after the initial shock and grief you will be able to take comfort from memories of happier times.

x