Sunday, January 04, 2009

Permission to say C*ck?

References to Top Gear and James May notwithstanding...it's been a fairly difficult week, and actually it hasn't even been a week yet. Not since my uncle died, no....

We're still in the middle of the funeral arrangements, so the phone calls are constant, and the stress levels are higher than usual, but it's understandable. Family members not seen from one year to the next are resurfacing from the woodwork (so to speak, or paraphrase, or whatever), and in some contexts, that's a good thing, in others it's complete 'shite' (as the British say). But families are families, and like most others, when in times of pain and anguish, we band together for the common good of the people - or person, in this case. Namely my uncle.

I'll be very glad when this week is over, and the new year can start to be just that - a brand new beginning. Granted, I will NEVER forget New Years Day, 2009. Nor any New Years Day to follow. But perhaps, just perhaps, from these ashes a new day will dawn? A new day of understanding and love and above all, compassion. One of friendship and thoughtfulness for our fellow family members, of joy over the small things. The ability to laugh at oneself, and not bitch at everyone around you. These are the things that my uncle held dearest of all, and these are the things that he passed onto my sister and myself at the very least.

Each time we lose a loved one, we promise ourselves that we will never forget them. And for the most part, my family is such that we don't. For us, there is a constant chatter about those who have gone before us. Gone but never forgotten. We, in some respects, treat them like they are very much still alive and kicking. We talk about them, we talk TO them, we reminisce, we think of them often, but we never forget. We keep them alive in our memories, for ourselves and for the generations that come after us.

As family historian, I feel it is my job in some respects, to make sure that that history is there for all the family to see - now and forever. As a writer, I also feel that it is my duty to record history for those that follow. But it is hard in some ways, for me, especially with those I knew personally.

However, it is important enough, that it is one of my New Years Resolutions this year. To go out in search of family and record our history. To write it up for our family annals.

To REMEMBER. And never to forget.

3 comments:

Nothing said...

I think you wrote that very well.

wunderlust said...

Thanks, Frog in a Sock!

Ceramix said...

Not a particularly good start to the year for you and something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Your sentiments for starting New Year over sound very much like a good idea, a positive move. A cunning plan you might say.

Laugh at the things you and your uncle would have found funny, visit the places you might have gone together, be happy for knowing him and above all don't ever forget.