Saturday, November 22, 2008

A day in the life of a hard-working tree-lopping crew


Meet the boys from Australian Tree Services. From when they arrived around 11am on Friday, until the last of them left at 5.30pm, this crew of 6 men worked their little backsides off. Never have I been so impressed with one company's work ethic as I was yesterday. Des and the boys were kept on the go all day, lopping one tree after another, and never once was any one of them anything other than thoroughly hard-working, polite, friendly and keen to work to the absolute best of their abilities for me.

They made the job look easy, but I for one know that it wasn't. I was gobsmacked more than once during the time they were here at the sheer quickness of their work, especially with Bobby the tree-climbing tree-lopper (makes him sound like a strange extra member of the Wiggles, but no matter) who, every time I turned around, seemed to either be up another tree, or climbing one in one direction or another. I certainly don't envy him his job!


These guys (and I honestly can't praise them highly enough) took a yard that looked a lot like, well, a storm had hit it (which obviously it had) and turned it into something to be utterly proud of. At all times, they were ultra careful with my fences, my power lines, my already established plants in pots, and even the grave of my little guinea pig who died about a year ago (they put a witches hat on it so no one would step there, and Bobby did his best not to drop branches on it - how lovely is that?). They were great with the dogs, patting them in the dog yard when on a breather for a few minutes, and didn't mind at all that I was out taking photos of them hard at work.



As each tree came down, it went into the Intimidator (an entirely well-named beast, believe me). This thing was huge, and what it did to whole trees is something that must be witnessed to be believed. I had the choice of keeping the mulch or having them remove it, but I chose to keep it, and here is the result:


All day Des and the boys worked constantly, with the ever-present threat of a storm over their heads one minute and bright sunshine the next.


Down came my palms (as can be seen above), down came the umbrella tree, down came the extra branches in my whatever-it-is between my courtyard and the backyard, but perhaps the most spectacular was the removal of the Norfolk Island Pine:









As you can see from the pictures, it was not the easiest job, especially for Bobby who had to climb it. But let it be said, these boys not only know how to work hard, but know their jobs very bloody well. I, for one, am happy to recommend them to anyone in the Brisbane area who needs the services of a tree-lopping company in this time of storms (or any other time, for that matter). They are worth every cent of what it cost, and I wouldn't hesitate to get them back in if I ever needed them again.

Now for some general other shots of the boys hard at work, including grinding the stumps after the tree-lopping was complete, and then I'll end my little post before today's storm hits.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, how much did that cost you? You mention dogs - are there two dogs now? It was so sweet of them to put a witch's hat over the guinea pig's grave. Do you have any trees in your yard now? Did you get them removed because they were already damaged or were they a future danger?

wunderlust said...

It was actually not that expensive, considering just how much work these guys did in the 6 or so hours they were here for. I'd pay it again tomorrow if I needed them. As to the two dogs issue - one is the staffy from next door. Her people were out all day, so she came over to me, probably because it looked like a whole lot more fun in my yard. But I had to put her in my dalmatian's yard with him for the day, or she (and he) would have escaped out the open gates. As it was, she made a successful bid for freedom through a dog-proof dog fence. Little bugger. Yes it was rather sweet of them to put the witch's hat on my piggie's grave. Shows you what good blokes these boys are. As to why I got the trees removed, if you look further back in my blog you can see photos of the storm damage that some of my trees copped. Mostly it was a mixture of fear of another storm like last Sunday's, but also it was basic common sense, general maintenance, and some forethought towards the future upkeep of my property. As it was, when they removed the trees up against the front of the house, it became clear that the big one just behind the side fence had also suffered some bad damage.

Ceramix said...

Why am I reminded those nice Monty Python chaps have finally got an official YouTube channel? LOL

And yes, they have put the Lumberjack song on there.

wunderlust said...

Oh cool! I love Monty Python, so I'll have to go check it out! :-)