Thursday, October 13, 2022

Farm Life

Recently I was gifted a lovely big rooster, who I named "Gorgeous George". He's a white leghorn, and is quite the romantic with my three little hens.

He crows, politely, once or twice each morning, (and not very loudly), and then goes about his business of wooing the girls. He is quite gentle with them, as well as being quite protective of them. It's all rather sweet.

I do hope that, just maybe, there will be babies soon, or at the very least, that my 3 girls will start laying again, as they have been on strike for quite some time now.

I'm also starting the slow process of building a vegetable garden. I have four fruit trees growing (two mandarin, one orange, and one lemon, all of which my Dad planted many years ago), and my sister gifted me a macadamia nut seedling from her tree.

I do plan on adding to my fruit grove, with a mango tree as well as an avocado tree at some stage, but for now I will work on growing food and herbs.

The birds have helped out with some of that, as every Spring (which it is now), I often find cherry tomato seedlings in the strangest of places. I have moved them all to a raised garden bed, and planted them.

As to my flower garden, my geraniums are getting bigger, as are my collection of roses.

The cost of living has gone through the roof here, with more rises to come (although our incomes stay the same), so rather than my gardening being a hobby, it has now become something of a necessity.

Thankfully I don't mind being something of a homebody, and "Make Do And Mend" is nothing new to me. But living below the poverty line was something I had hoped was in the past.

Never mind. Things will, eventually, get better (I hope).


1 comment:

Ceramix said...

Maybe get some largish containers and plant some seed potatoes? As they grow you can simply add soil around them to Earth-Up. When ready for harvest, simply tip them out. Much easier than digging them out of the ground.