Thursday, November 20, 2008

Storm Warnings for South East Queensland are still in force

I think I've had pretty much all I can stand of Queensland weather for now. We had yet another storm last night, and are currently under a weather alert from the Bureau of Meteorology for a Severe Storm Warning for South East Queensland. Great. The storm they said was due tonight looks like it is well and truly on its way. The trains between Ipswich and Rosewood, on Brisbane's western reaches, are currently down due to the Bremer River flooding last night, and most of the Darling Downs and Lockyer Valley regions are also under threat of floods.

The Gap, in Brisbane, still looks like the site of a bomb strike, with cleanups continuing, and four days after the storms of Sunday, there are houses yet without power both in Brisbane and up here in the Caboolture Shire. I'm lucky in having power currently, I guess.

An ex-boyfriend of mine rang me around 1am last night and then proceeded to send me an sms around 3am just to let me know that his flat was flooding. He lives in an area of Brisbane that has never actually flooded before, to my knowledge, so it was rather surprising. I feel very sorry for him, but given I was going through a rather spectacular storm show of my own at the time, I didn't rightly have a lot of sympathy for him just then. I rang him this morning though, and apart from a few boxes, and his mattress, he didn't actually have a lot of damage.

My yards are still rather damp after last night's storm - currently a no-go area without Wellies :-)

The kookaburras are out in force this morning though - first morning of sunshine we've had since Sunday morning. And the Ibis are everywhere!


The Ibis seem to always appear after a big storm. I've seen them walking over the tops of trees as though they were on firm ground. It's amazing to watch, and they keep up quite a chatter when there's a lot of them. They are huge birds too, so when there are a lot of them all together it is somewhat mind-blowing.

Sometime soon, I will get time to sit down and write a blog that isn't about the weather, although I do believe that this Storm Season is going to be a ripper one - let's just hope there isn't too many more storms like Sunday's!

Anyway, things to do.

No comments: