Thursday, November 20, 2008

Photos from the ABC news broadcast and elsewhere


I've had a trawl of the websites, and came up with a few rather scary images. Not as bad as some floating around though. The one above is of the storm on its approach Sunday afternoon. Not something you ever want to see twice in a lifetime.

Recent news is that the new road to Toowoomba in the Lockyer Valley has been washed away during a land-slide last night, and so people are being asked to use the old road, which is a two lane track compared to the new one. One lane in each direction. Venture that way at your peril.

The Inner City Bypass in Brisbane is awash, with the Brisbane City Council currently pumping 11 mega-litres of water from it.

The Centenary Highway is also under water, so travelling to Brisbane or within Brisbane isn't advisable currently.

The train system and bus networks are questionable just now (understandable), and a hell of a lot of roads are still out. Scary stuff. Any travel plans I had have been cancelled. Now I just have the panic of if I remove the trees up against the front of my house, will that mean that in the next cyclonic winds, I might lose my roof? I will have to have a chat to the tree-loppers when they get here on the weekend.



































Thankfully, we have our Boys (and Girls) in the Australian Army on hand to help. The people of Brisbane owe them one huge thank you when this crisis is over. That said, we also owe the volunteers from Sydney, Mackay, and the like, as well as the low-level prisoners and our own boys (and girls) in Blue for their incredible help at this time. Yep. I said prisoners. You read that right.


We are in for a really bad storm season, and looking out my window at the rapidly gathering black clouds isn't helping my feeling of unease, nor is the sweat dripping off me from the sheer heat - very similar to Sunday before that storm.

What I wouldn't give to be somewhere where the weather isn't so vicious. England, perhaps? :-) After these storms I think a nice bit of being snowed in would do me rather nicely. Oh well, tis to dream, I guess.

No comments: