Sunday, December 07, 2008

I am 35, going on ... umm ... 12?

I went out today with a friend, to celebrate two things:

1. finishing my story on time

2. my friend's new job as a Postie

What got me, was being asked for ID. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's very odd indeed, considering I turned 35 this August just gone!

By my reckoning, I've been a fully-fledged adult now, for the past 18 years (god I feel old!), so why am I still being asked for ID? Probably because while I might be over the age of consent, I have yet to reach the HEIGHT of consent (apparently). Being a person of a smaller stature, with a young face - so I'm told, anyway - I often get mistaken for a child.

Mostly it's quite funny, but sometimes it can be quite annoying.

I'm not sure how to take today's little episode. Perhaps as it was meant - as a compliment :-)

1 comment:

Ceramix said...

Awww you young 'un!!! It is nice at times when folks assume you are younger than your real age. I put it down to behaviuor and attitude. There's some very "old" twenty- somethings and equally some young fifty-plus people.

Seriously I was asked in store a while back for proof of age, when buying a cert 18 DVD. By someone who could only have been around 16 themselves!!!! Go figure.

So will your Postie friend be wearing shorts..? LOL