Wednesday, December 03, 2008

"We're happy little vegemites, as bright as bright can be..."


I woke up this morning in SUCH a good mood. Not really sure why, but glad anyway :-)

Thanks, Ceramix, for answering my questions (and for managing to answer one I actually forgot to ask, that being when Season 7 of Spooks starts).

In answer to a few of yours though (or at least, to comment on a couple of things you said)

1. Given I don't actually drive, I get asked a hell of a lot WHY I watch Top Gear. It's because, as you said, you don't need to be a petrol-head to enjoy it. It makes me laugh, and it teaches me things (sad but true), and except for a couple of episodes that were played recently on foxtel (and were rather old) where Clarkson and Hammond are having a go at their "Colonial Cousins" this side of the pond, I thoroughly enjoy every episode I've seen. I've enjoyed the specials (the Polar Experience being one of my favourites), and probably my two favourite episodes of what I've seen here in Oz are where they attempt (for a second time) to turn cars aquatic, and only Clarkson's ute makes it to France across the English Channel, and the ep where Hammond almost succeeds in turning a car into a space rocket.

The major problem with our Cable TV providers is that we rarely get an entire season of something, more likely getting enough episodes to fill a gap left by another show (which explains why I am getting a mix of episodes of Inspector Lynley just now), and while SBS (one of our free-to-air channels) has started with a new (for us, anyway) season of Top Gear - having removed the crappy Aussie version from our TV screens - Foxtel is playing a different season.

However, the time slot that Foxtel is currently using for Top Gear is generally when Dr Who or Torchwood gets slotted to (though not always), so it will be interesting to see how long that lasts. Given especially that it was moved from its old slot of Saturday night at 7.30pm so that Robin Hood (season 1, mind!) could be shown instead!

2. VEGEMITE - Firstly (and damn this is embarrassing), Australia's favourite spread is, in fact, 85 years old this year, rather than 75. So obviously I'm not as good at maths as I should be. Yikes! Secondly, yes, indeedydo, it is made from brewers yeast, just like Marmite. Only thing is, you have to make sure you buy the one that says Made in Australia. There is, apparently, a Kiwi (New Zealand) version out there that tastes very very different to the original and the best. So be warned!

More later - things to do!

3 comments:

Ceramix said...

Isn't it nice to wake with a smile? If only it were every morning...

Do I take it from your viewing habits you're something of an Anglophile LOL?

Clarkson's comments on Truck drivers caused a minor storm this series and The Stig's morse code is interesting if you can decode it. Tee hee.

Sleep tight.

wunderlust said...

Lol, funny you should say that about me being an Anglophile....I get accused of that ALL the time (especially by my mother). I think it comes from watching UKTV, BBCHD and BBC Discovery almost exclusively. I find Yank shows harsh on the ears, and Aussie humour just isn't as funny as it used to be. Whereas we were once more like our British Ancestors, we seem to have started a new revolution in that all our TV shows are becoming bad copies of Yank garbage. So yeah, I tend to watch UK stuff a lot because I find the humour intelligent, the drama real (to a point, anyway), and I grew up on a great deal of British stuff, so I guess perhaps I've just stayed with the best? :-) (Now THAT'S a complement, if ever I heard one!)

Ceramix said...

Never been refered to as an Ancestor before... :-)