Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Happy Australia Day!


It's been a typical Australia Day for me - hot and sweltering! As opposed to last year, when I went down to Brisbane for the day (South Bank, to be exact), I chose to stay close to home this year. Given the Christmas/New Year period was less than celebratory due to illnesses, deaths, and anniversaries of previous deaths, I woke up today not really feeling much like celebrating our national day, to be honest.

So I went to the shops (I checked first to make sure they'd be open!), and had some wonderful chats with the various check-out chickies I had dealings with. Mostly about how as a nation, we seem only to physically portray our patriotic tendencies on this one day of the year. For the rest of the year, our flags, t-shirts, shorts, and other general paraphernalia that we have with Aussie flags, flora, fauna etc on them, are safely tucked away in the bottom drawer - "for safe keeping".

The same goes for our music, it seems. I, for one, love the local Aussie music scene. We have a wonderful eclectic style of music here in Australia. So why are our radio stations full of American and English music? What about Aussie pride?

Mind you, I'm getting myself all worked up here about the lack of Australian Pride and Patriotism, while listening to John Farnham, so I can't talk! You can't get much more Aussie than ol' John Farnham. Except maybe for Barnsie (Jimmy Barnes), Acca Dacca (AC/DC), INXS, and Skyhooks, just to name a few.

Kinda helps to have a large music library, I guess!

But for the most part, our radio stations (on TV (now that that's an option), radio, internet, mobiles, etc) seem to rarely play much Aussie music that I can find, unless it's Country.

Anyway, I'm waffling now, so I'll stop, and go back to my happy music listening, having cheered up a great deal since I got home :-)

Either way, I plan on spending tonight listening to more Aussie music - all on my lonesome :(

(But I do plan on enjoying it!)

1 comment:

Ceramix said...

Make the most of waving your national flag and take pride in your country. Over here in Jolly Old England, we're too afraid of being patriotic and hoisting the Union Flag for fear of being accused of offending other nations.

By the way exactly where do the boys from AC/DC come from LOL?