Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Aftermath of Australia Day - past and present...

I was looking yesterday for a picture of the Aussie flag for my blog entry about Australia Day, and in my travels I came across an absolutely fantastic Brisbane blogger. His blog for yesterday was about the 1974 floods. Given I was only 5 months old at the time (so a month older than I am in my blog photo), I don't rightly remember the flood well :-)

Also my family was living in a little country town outside of Ipswich at the time, so we weren't actually in Brisbane. What I'm getting around to saying is that while I have grown up all my life with stories of the flood of '74, and I knew it was in January, I wasn't actually aware of the fact that it also coincided with Australia Day that year.

Anyway, the blog entry is here:


It is well worth a read for lots of reasons. It has some wonderful photos of Brisbane, both past and present, as well as a very good history lesson or three!

Having had a good (but quick! - I promise to go back for a more in-depth gander soon) look, I came across some other links from his sites, but one I will post here for Ceramix's benefit. Perhaps it will help him understand some of the things I come out with on occasions. I know the Aussie lingo is unique, and so I offer up a website with some absolute doozies from the Aussie culture:


Anyway, it's going to get up to 34 or so today (that's Celsius, guys), so I'd best get on with things before it gets too hot.

Enjoy your day!

No comments: