Thursday, September 18, 2008

The haunting (and helping) of the Ancestors...

So many things happen in life to make the everyday seem mundane. I've spent the last couple of months reading, sorting out my new library, getting ready for a return to university, and all the while, other things have been lurking in the background, biding their time, before they launch themselves at me all unannounced.

To put all that into English - I've had the ancestors crowding around the back of my chair again, quietly adding their two cents worth, helping me when I get stuck on a person in my family tree, and scowling at me if I don't go off on a tangent that they REALLY want me to follow. And yes, I said Ancestors, not decendants. Those that have gone before, not those that are yet to follow.

I have, since about Christmas last year, been working on my family tree, and one of the side-effects, apparently, of "doing your family tree" is visitations from ancestors. I have a lot of friends and far-off family members who are also going through the ancestor-helping-temper tantrum throwing-scowling visitations. Sometimes it's quite a wonderful feeling, knowing that the person you are working on in your tree is somewhere around you, trying desperately to help you in any way they can. Other times it's a fair bit frustrating, because to the dead, time has no meaning anymore, so they seem to get annoyed with me when I call it quits at 3am, and tootle off to bed for a few hours kip. :-)

The last few months, I've been studiously ignorning the family tree, because it's been a rather hectic year all told, but especially as far as family goes, and I honestly needed a break. That said, I've met some wonderful family members from far-reaching branches of my tree; indeed, I spent the better part of yesterday with a couple of them, down on holidays from up north to visit their son. I'm off today out into the Darling Downs to visit another branch of the tree for a week as well. So it's all go at the moment.

Strange how, whenever I drag all the family tree stuff out of the cupboard, and open the file on my hard drive, scour my emails for messages from various family and contacts, life suddenly becomes all too hectic. The old saying "it never rains, but it pours" is definitely apt when it comes to my family tree! I sometimes wonder if it's a family conspiracy to wait until the moment when I have the least amount of time on my hands, before they all suddenly descend on me, or come out of the woodwork and demand my attention. That said, it's been a wondeful little jaunt through the annals of history at the very least, and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Anyway, the Lockyer Valley awaits, and I must be gone. :-)

No comments: