Thursday, July 06, 2006

Happy Little Vegemites

Apparently it's Thursday.

Not 100% sure on that, but that's what I'm being told today. The bin men are outside too, so I guess it must be true because my garbage always gets picked up on a Thursday.

I had to get up early this morning and race outside to put the bins out because, as usual, I forgot yesterday to do that!

When I went outside, I realised that I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt on this cold winter's morn, but actually, it wasn't all that cold today. Odd, considering there was wintery fog down the other end of the street, and I was barefoot, standing in dewy grass, in summery clothes!

My boyfriend was happy to see me yesterday, I think. I brought him over some soup, and did a general tidy-up of his flat for him - made his bed, did his washing - all the kinds of things that people do for others when that other is sick and they care about them.

Today, though, I'm doing the "matchsticks propping up the eyelids" thing in an attempt to be awake. I have heaps and heaps of things to do today, and I'll do them, really I will.....it might just take a few cups of coffee first before I'm capable of doing any of that :-)

Why is it, though, that when someone is sick, we always seem to bring them soup? I for one happen to love soup - any time of the year, sick or otherwise - but what makes soup, that thing most people don't seem to like, become "comfort food" when we are sick?

For the rest of the year, most people won't touch the stuff, but the minute they are sick (and this is particularly true of men, no offence to my boyfriend or any other male that reads this blog, intended), all they want is soup? I love the taste and texture of soup. I love the fact that I can pretty much eat as much of the stuff as I want and not put on weight (depending on the type of soup, of course). But these same people who all clammer for soup when they are sick, are also the same ones who are claiming its "icky, slimy, wet" stuff when they are well! :-)

Currently I'm going through a phase of trying out soups that are a bit different to the normal stuff. Oh don't get me wrong, I still love my tomato soups, my cream of chicken soups, my beef soups, my garden veg soups, but I'm discovering that there is a whole plethora of flavours out there.

My newest favourite is Dutch Curry and Rice. Ooooooohhh yummy! The Potato and Bacon one isn't too bad either. Then there are the range of Asian soups, most with noodles, that seem to be quite good too. As soup is one of my main food sources these days, I like to challenge my taste buds a little and try a few of the new ones :-)

And as my batteries haven't yet been charged with enough coffee, I'm going to play "dumb blonde" and change my subject in this blog willy-nilly again (not that I am blonde, because I'm not!)

It's been ages since I posted a picture here. I'll try and do that on the weekend. I'm going off with my boyfriend for a couple of days to meet some of his friends who live out of town, so I'll try and take some pictures while I'm there. He promises to give me a "grand tour" of where he used to live, and apparently there is a gorgeous park there. So maybe some trees and flowers and such might just appear in next week's blog entries. Really need to update my digital camera though. It's good for basic photos, but not good for close up details.

Have a look here:

http://silverhound.blogspot.com/

This post has some great photos on it. She's really good at it, and she used to send me semi regular emails with other photos she'd taken.

Anyway, stuff to do. A gallon of coffee to drink. Vegemite toast to make and consume. Pets to talk to and deal with. Dust bunnies to wage war on.....



1 comment:

wunderlust said...

Thanks for the soup recipe, Michelle. In answer to your question, mostly I buy the soup packets because it's cheaper and quicker for me, and trying to cook with cats underfoot is never easy. Plus I've been sick with the flu recently and have just got it back, in fact, so the last thing I want to do is cook. Nearly all of the soups I get are 97% or so fat free, so I guess they aren't doing me any harm. I certainly lost a stack of weight on them last year, and haven't put any of it back on, so they can't be too bad! But I will give your recipe a try at my boyfriend's and see how I go. It certainly sounds yummy!