Monday, September 30, 2013

Ode To A Friend

I went to the funeral of a friend today. He was 95 years old when he died last week. I don't know too many people in the 90s, so he has a special place in my heart, if only for his age. 

He was a genuinely lovely bloke, who will be missed by his family and by anyone who truly knew him. I had the pleasure of singing with him many years ago in a choir we were both in, and even back then he struck me as someone who truly loved his life. 

There are larrikins in this world, and there are people who have fun, and then there is my friend. He never struck me as a trouble maker, never made fun at other people's expense. He just truly enjoyed his life. He also taught me to enjoy my own (something I am wont to forget sometimes, when life gets me down).

Thank you, dear friend, for all the laughs you gave us, for the smiles you brought to people's faces over the 9 decades you graced this planet. But thank you mostly for teaching us to value our lives, and to find joy in every waking moment.

Goodbye fellow chorister. You will be missed.


No comments: