Monday, February 03, 2014

1940s Ration Cooking

I made some digestive biscuits last night. The recipe came from a 1940s Rationing Recipe book I own. Having never made these particular biscuits before, I was interested in seeing how they would turn out. Apart from a bit too much flour on the outside (from both the board they were rolled out on, and the baking tray), they are quite a nice little biscuit. They aren't terribly sweet, but rather have just enough sugar in them (about 1 tablespoon) to be able to taste it without it being bland either.

The recipe I have makes between 20 and 24 biscuits (I got 20 out of my batch), and will do me for when I feel the need for a little something extra with my morning coffee.

The book the recipe came from is a collection of recipe sheets from the second World War, and there are many things in there I would like to try.


Update (9 Feb 2014):
Surprisingly, they disappeared rather quickly (about four days), despite the excess flour! Definitely need to make some more :-) 

No comments: