Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I Made This....


I made this last night, and it was very, very delicious. Two thirds of it is now in my freezer, in four meal containers, for future use.

I am in the process of emptying my freezer in preparation for the oncoming wet season here in Queensland. Given that the last few years have seen loss of power for days on end, which results in every single last thing in the freezer having to go in the bin, or to the neighbouring pigs (actual oinks, not greedy people), I've decided to make sure that I have only the bare basics in my freezer this summer.

So why did I do cooking last night? For a few reasons. Firstly, I am also trying to use up things in my pantry that are probably at their use-by dates or past them, or very near to them, and secondly, I felt like a home cooked meal last night.

Anyway - I made this potato bake last night, using a tin of Braised Steak & Onions from ALDI, two of my four remaining potatoes, some grated cheese for topping, some frozen veg, the remains of a bag of spiral pasta, two small cloves of garlic, some garam masala, some curry powder, a dash or Worcestershire Sauce, another dash of HP Brown Sauce (good British stuff that it is), and a good dollop of Sweet Chilli Sauce.

I still have some meat in my freezer that needs using up, so I will need to be creative in the coming weeks, I think.

While I like cooking, living alone often results in the "it's too much hassle just to cook for one" scenario, so I tend to only cook about once a fortnight (sometimes once a week).

One thing I do hate though, is being stuck in the kitchen for too long, especially when I have my spotty little helper shadowing me at every step, waiting for me to drop some tasty little morsel onto the ground for him to gobble up!


2 comments:

Ceramix said...

Does the Wunderlust Restuarant take bookings..?

Think of your little helper as a four legged vacuum cleaner lol.

wunderlust said...

If you can afford the plane fare to Brisbane, you are welcome to come for dinner :-)