Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I Made This!


Dam-per, (n):
Australian - a round, flat cake made of flour and water, and cooked over a campfire.

Obviously I didn't have a handy campfire around on which to cook this (which is done in the ashes, rather than on the fire itself), but it still came out a treat. Also, I am ashamed to say, I had no "cocky's joy" handy with which to spread it, either, but butter works just fine, so long as you don't forget the billy tea!

Either way, it is decidedly tasty, and made a very yummy lunch (only had a small wedge, meaning I have more left for dinner - yum!). I have a feeling, though, thst this is yet another Aussie thing that is likely to be unpalatable to the rest of the world, given I found one definition of it that described it as an "inedible lump of floury dough". Obviously not made by an Aussie, then! :)

NB: "Cocky's Joy" is what Golden Syrup is called in the Bush - NOT Maple Syrup - GOLDEN Syrup.

1 comment:

Ceramix said...

Mmmmm you just can't beat Tate & Lyle's finest...

I can imagine your Dam-per would taste somewhat different (and yummy) with Golden Syrup.